Monday, February 4, 2008

News: Thomas S. Monson Named 16th President/Prophet.


News: Thomas S. Monson Named 16th President/Prophet.

I am sure many of you have heard by now but if not here is the official statement from the Church Newsroom:

Thomas S. Monson Named16th Church PresidentSALT LAKE CITY 4 February 2008 Thomas S. Monson is the new president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it was announced today at a news conference in the Church Office Building. President Monson, 80, succeeds President Gordon B. Hinckley, who died 27 January.

The new world leader of the Church has called to serve with him in the First Presidency, the top governing body of the 13-million-member faith, President Henry B. Eyring, 74, first counselor, and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, 67, second counselor.

President Boyd K. Packer, 83, is the new president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. The vacancy in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will be filled later.Full details will be posted on Newsroom later today.

I've grown up with Pres. Hinkley as my prophet, giving me constant strength and inspiration, but I have always loved President Monson, and I know he is a wonderful man called of God. I regard him with the highest respect and I know he will make a wonderful prophet and carry on the awesome work of Pres. Hinkley. I have faith in Pres. Monson and he is constantly in my prayers. I am so excited about our new leaders, I know they will do an excellent job and I am anxious to see the marvelous work they will do for our church!
love Melynda

1 comment:

Caglefamily said...

Ah, you are LDS, so am I and as much as I loved Pres. Hinckley, I am happy that he has finally joined his wife in paradise. And I am truly excited to have Monson as our president. He is a wonderful man and I agree with you, I have always reveered him, he will be a great prophet and I look forward to the future.