Saturday, November 17, 2007

Please Pray for Us...

To all of our family friends and loved ones: 11/17/07 Our baby I finally here! She was born on Wednesday the 14th at 9:18 am at Mckay-dee Hospital in Ogden, UT. A beautiful 6lb 11oz and 20in baby girl. She is was the perfect baby and is still. After Mariska was born they brought her to me placed her on my chest, as we were laying together all I could think is life doesn't get any better then this! After she was here Sam went with Misky to get all the new baby stuff done, like her shot and bath. I was taken to a recovery room. Then the fun came it was time to show the world or all that came to show her off to the world, with visitors and cameras. Sam and I loved this part, holding her small little body and gazing into her small little angelic eyes. The only problem was that we had a hard time getting her to eat. She would suck then get sleepy, so we would let her sleep and try again in a little while. Thursday we went to the discharge class, while we we're there the hospitals pediatrician, since we had yet to pick on before hand, pulled Sam out of the class to tell us that she was very healthy normal baby girl, what exciting news. They wanted to keep me and the baby because she was group strep B+, as was I so I was given antibiotics while in active labor with her. This is just a infection that some babies get,this feels much like the flue your body aches all over. After the class she still wasn't feeding every well, So we had the lactation specialist come and help me with a few feeding Mariska was starting to get the hang of it and everything seemed to be going ok. Misky like to slurp and was a bit lazy, we had to coach her with a syringe and a tube we would give her a little then she would suck. Silly silly girl. I was about to change her dirty diaper, when the nurse came in and said they needed to do some normal tests on her. Then when they came back in they said she was dehydrated and breathing really fast. They thought at first she was breathing fast because she was dehydrated and that she was borderline NICU. They wanted me to have a nurse helping me when ever I was going to feed, just to make sure she was eating and not playing games. So they asked if we would mind if they gave her a bottle, she happily drank down the 20lm. Everything seemed to be going ok and then they came back in and said they want to do some more tests on her because things were not going well. When she came back to us after the tests had been taken and were waiting on the results. She came back to us we held her for a little while, I was about to nurse her and a nurse came in and said not to feed her because they wanted to see the results first. About 5 minutes later the RN came in and said she needs to go to NICU to get an iv to get hydrated and they had found she had an infection and she needed antibiotics. They told us we could come in and see her in an hour after she was all hooked up. We had the RN walk us down to the NICU so we could see our baby girl, around 10 pm. We had to scrub up to our elbows before we could go into the the NICU area. Then we went in to see her, the emotions started to come a little but we knew she was getting help she was needing. All she had hooked up to her was the IV and a few other monitoring things like her heart rate and blood pressure and was given something to help her be a little sedated. She was still under the hospitals pediatrician, she was doing ok. We went and back to our room and tried to get some sleep, I hadn't gotten much sleep in the last 72 hours, just a few short naps her and there. We get a phone call from her pediatrician at 12:30 saying that things have changed for the worst, she was going to need a breathing tube because she was having a hard time breathing. She was breathing 3 times as fast as she should be. 15-35 normal breaths per min normal, she was at 130 breaths per min. My heart just melted, when she said things had changed for the worst I thought we had lost her. As she called one of the head NICU Nurses was trying to tell us this before the doctor did, she came in just as we we're being told. She said to give them 15 mins to get her set up and then we could see her. Sam and I got dressed and headed back down. When we got down their the doctor introduced her self and started to check Mariska's body, she didn't like what what she felt, said that her heart was slightly larger then it should be and so was her liver. They had already did some x-rays and said her heart looked large, gave her some more drugs and brought in a tech to do an ultrasound on her heart and said it looked like the left valve of her heart was very small. They brought in a cardiologist to double check and see what he thought. When he came they said that she has heart problems and needed to be life flight to Primary Children Hospital. The sweet nurses had packed all my bags and every thing I was going to need after I left them, they called my OBGYN to see if I could be checked out early and to get my prescription. This is where the real fun started, They opened up her umbilical cord and put two tubes to make sure the valve she used to breath in the uterus didn't close, because the main one had never developed. They flew her down and my mom drove us down to the hospital, we got there just at the same time life flight did. We meet with her new nurse and a few of the doctors. We stayed with her for a while, then we fell asleep on a sofa some where, and got about 2 hours of sleep. They called us in and explained what she had is called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. Then explained that they would need to do open heart surgery and she would go into surgery on monday if we were ok with it. They decided monday because they wanted to make sure all the specialists would be with their team. This condition that Mariska has is a life long process of several surgeries throughout her life and possibly medication all her life. We would greatly appreciate any prayers you can offer for her and us to help us get through this together. We know that she is a blessed daughter of our heavenly father, and we are very grateful to be blessed with her in our lives. Melynda and Sam Anderson

1 comment:

The Anderson Family said...

Hey, Noko and I are both praying for Mariska. Always remember the words the angel Gabriel gave Mary: "For with God, nothing shall be impossible." Luke 1:37

(added back from Admin)